The Varsity Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, jointly administered by the WashU Department of Athletics and the Office for Student Success, helps qualifying student-athletes access the full student-athlete experience by removing financial barriers as allowed by the NCAA. Although there will be no varsity competitions this Fall, the Student Athlete Opportunity Fund will still remain open and operational. The documented financial need of the student-athlete will be taken into consideration when reviewing requests.
In order to be eligible for this fund, student-athletes must:
- Qualify for the Student Athlete Opportunity Fund;
- Use the funds for expenses allowed by the NCAA;
- Submit the request at least two-weeks prior to the event or deadline for payment.**
The areas of assistance specified by the NCAA are as follows:
- Competition or practice apparel or shoes
- Equipment needed for competition or practice
- Travel expenses for practice or competition
- Medical/vision/dental expenses incidental to participation
Any questions about the fund may be directed to the Deputy Director of Athletics or Senior Associate Director of Athletics/SWA who can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
If a student-athlete applies for funding to reimburse a purchase allowed by the NCAA that they have already made, the purchase must have occurred during the current academic year, and the request will be considered only on the basis of available funding and may be subject to a longer processing time. Though it is possible for us to issue reimbursement, the heavily preferred method of application is in advance of a purchase or deadline for payment.